DD33 - Page 4
Rail Underpass tunnel pushes below passenger line
Great things have happened at North Strathfield, as the North Strathfield Rail Underpass Alliance pushes a tunnel for freight trains under the existing passenger rail.
The North Strathfield Rail Underpass Alliance is constructing the rail underpass under the Main North Lines at North Strathfield, removing the need for freight trains to cross over the existing tracks before they continue their journey towards Flemington.
The project forms part of the Northern Sydney Freight Corridor Program, a joint initiative of the Australian and NSW governments to improve the capacity and reliability for freight services between North Strathfield and Newcastle.
The project has been designed for Transport for NSW by NSRU Design Joint Venture (SKM & PB) and Mott Macdonald.
The key features of the project include:
- a new rail underpass for freight trains at North Strathfield
- new track to connect to the existing relief goods loop at North Strathfield
- 2.4 km of new track and upgrade of 850 m of existing track
- a new aerial concourse and the installation of four new lifts at Concord West station.
- relocation of an existing RailCorp depot at North Strathfield Station
- associated civil and structural works
- provision of new rail systems, including overhead wire, high voltage, low voltage, communications and signalling
The project is being delivered by Transport for NSW, John Holland Group and Bouygues Travaux Publics Australia.
A road header is excavating the tunnel underpass, and the surveyors use the new Setout tools and trimeshes in 12d Field for all set out and conformance on the project.
Dave Mares (Alliance Survey Manager) said, “12d Field exceeded their expectations on this project, and its features surpassed the overseas software traditionally used for this type of project”.